Black Lentil Soup
Out of vegetable broth? Water will work just as well for this recipe.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. minced ginger root
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1½ tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes, drained
- 1 lb. dried black lentils, rinsed and drained
- 12 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, and sugar. Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture caramelizes. Add coriander, garam masala, salt, and cayenne pepper. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. (The sauce will be quite thick.) Pour in the vegetable broth and add the lentils. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to low and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Remove from heat. Garnish individual bowls with yogurt and scallions.