Black Satin Cake
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 6 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch pan.
- Put 1⁄2 cup butter, 4 tablespoons cocoa, oil, and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Sift flour and granulated sugar into a large bowl. Pour chocolate mixture over the flour mixture and mix well. In another bowl, beat together 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, eggs, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon vanilla and add to the chocolate mixture. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, put remaining 1⁄2 cup butter, 2 tablespoons cocoa, and 1 1⁄2 cup buttermilk in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add confectioners' sugar, salt, and remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla, mixing well.
- Remove the cake from the oven and frost it immediately. Let the cake cool completely in the pan.