If you find luscious fresh berries, freeze them in a single layer until solid before adding them to this batter. It’s the best way to prevent creating a loaf of purple bread.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. grated orange zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups frozen blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with pan spray, and line the bottom and short sides with a strip of parchment.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Combine sour cream, vanilla, and orange zest. Set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add eggs one at a time. Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream. Fold in blackberries.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth the top. Bake 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake 30 minutes longer, or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Tent with foil if loaf browns too quickly.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Continue cooling on a rack.