Blackberry Cheese Tart
Sweet blackberries and a lemony cheese filling make this a surprisingly refreshing dessert.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 4 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1⁄3 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 3⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1⁄3 cups plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Cream together 1⁄4 cup sugar and butter until just combined. Add in the egg yolk and 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla and mix well. Add in 1 1⁄3 cups flour and mix until the dough is smooth. Wrap in plastic and chill for 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator for 10 minutes to warm up. Roll out on a lightly floured surface to a circle 11 inches in diameter and 1⁄8 inch thick, turning the dough often. Dust the surface with additional flour if needed. Roll the dough around the rolling pin and unroll it into a 10-inch tart pan, pressing the dough into the pan. Press your fingers against the rim of the pan to trim the dough.
- Line the tart with a double layer of aluminum foil and add pie weights or dry beans. Roll aluminum foil around edges of tart dough to keep from burning. Bake for 12 minutes, then remove the paper and weights and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown all over. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Leave the oven on.
- In the bowl of a food processor or stand mixer, add the cream cheese, sour cream, 1⁄4 cup sugar, lemon zest, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and remaining 2 tablespoons flour. Process until very smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the blackberries, remaining 1⁄3 cup sugar and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla, and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until the berries have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch with the water and stir into the berry mixture. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes, then remove from the heat.
- Spread the cheese mixture into the prepared crust. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cheese mixture is lightly golden and puffed all over. Cool to room temperature, then spread the blackberry mixture on top. Chill for 1 hour before serving.