Blackberry Cream Puffs
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 package (3 oz.) blackberry-flavored gelatin dessert mix
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped stiff
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a saucepan, combine the water and butter and bring to a boil. Stir in the flour, blending until the mixture forms a ball, leaving sides of pan, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until smooth. Drop by spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until puffed and dry. Let cool. When completely cool, cut off the tops and scoop out any soft dough. Set the tops aside until ready to fill.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Dissolve the gelatin mix in the boiling water. Stir in the cold water. Chill for 1 hour, or until slightly thickened. Fold in the whipped cream and chill 30 minutes until firm.
- To fill the cream puffs, stir the chilled filling until smooth. Spoon into the cream puff bases, using about 1⁄3 cup filling for each puff. Replace the tops. Sprinkle the tops with confectioners’ sugar.