Blackberry French Toast Bake
Breakfast is sweet when you layer up this fragrant and flavorful dish that’s both rustic and elegant. Using cinnamon bread is a bit of a cheat, as you get the flavor of cinnamon without having to add another ingredient to the mix. The warm maple-sage syrup brings it all to a whole new level.
Serves: 12Prep: 15 minutesCook: 55 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 loaf (1 lb.) cinnamon bread, sliced
- 3 cups Kroger® 2% or Whole Milk
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups blackberries, divided
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, divided
- 3⁄4 cup pure maple syrup
- 4 fresh sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13”x9” baking pan with cooking spray.
- Lay bread slices out on large baking sheets on the counter to dry 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk and eggs.
- In prepared pan, arrange 1 layer bread slices to cover bottom. Sprinkle with 2 cups blackberries, 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 tablespoons almonds. Cover with another layer bread, then top with 1 cup blackberries and remaining 2 tablespoons each sugar and almonds. Pour egg mixture over all, pressing bread down to submerge slices. Refrigerate up to overnight or immediately proceed to step 5.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until knife inserted in center of French toast bake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine remaining 1 cup blackberries, the maple syrup and sage; cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes until blackberries have softened and broken down. Stir in vanilla. Cook 1-2 minutes longer until heated through. Remove sage leaves and serve syrup alongside French toast bake.
- Refrigerate leftovers.