This blackberry-jalapeño glaze is a delicious combination of sweet and spicy. The blackberries, honey and brown sugar bring the sweetness, while the jalapeño brings the spice!
Serves: 8Prep: 30 minutesCook: 4 hoursTotal: 4 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large jalapeño pepper
- 1 (12-16 lb.) whole turkey, thawed
- 12 ounces frozen blackberries, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup orange liqueur
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons orange zest
- Heat broiler to high. Place the jalapeño on a baking sheet.
- Place jalapeño in the heated oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, rotating every 2-3 minutes. The jalapeño should blacken and start bubbling when done.
- Place the jalapeño in a resealable plastic bag and set aside for 5-10 minutes, then remove from the bag and let sit until easy to handle. Peel blackened skin from the jalapeño and slice open. Remove the seeds and mince. Set aside.
- Lower the oven to 325°F.
- Fasten the neck skin to the back of the turkey with a skewer. Fold the wings across back so that the tips are touching. Tuck the drumsticks under the skin at the tail or tie together using kitchen string, then tie to the tail.
- Place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast the turkey for 2 hours, watching for the turkey to turn golden. Once it starts to brown, cover loosely with aluminum foil. Cut the band of skin or string holding the legs together.
- Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the minced jalapeño, blackberries, water, brown sugar, honey, orange juice, orange liqueur, garlic and orange zest. Simmer for 8-10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue simmering until the glaze has thickened, about 8-10 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Mash the blackberries with a potato masher.
- Start basting the glaze over the turkey at least 1 hour before the end of cooking time. Baste every 20 minutes, until the turkey is done cooking. The turkey should cook for 4-5 hours total, until a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh registers at 180°F.
- When the turkey is cooked through, remove from the oven and allow to stand for 20 minutes, then carve.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.