Blackened Tilapia with Butternut Squash Salsa
Tender tilapia is topped with a colorful butternut squash salsa for a budget-friendly meal that’s loaded with comforting flavor.
Prep: 10 minutesCook: 25 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup butternut squash, cut into ½” cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 filets (6 oz.) tilapia
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Spread butternut squash on baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil; toss to coat. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until tender. Set aside to cool.
- In small bowl, mix together brown sugar, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, garlic powder, paprika and oregano. Rub mixture over tilapia filets.
- In large skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once hot, cook tilapia until golden brown and easily flaked, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- In large bowl, toss together butternut squash, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, onion, apple, bell pepper, pomegranate seeds, parsley, rice wine vinegar and honey.
- Serve butternut squash salsa over tilapia filets. Refrigerate leftovers.