Blood Orange Ice
This recipe also can be used to make strawberry, pineapple, or watermelon ice from puréed and strained fruit.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- Juice of 2 lemons
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 cups fresh-squeezed blood orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest, grated
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, cool slightly, then place in refrigerator to chill.
- Mix lemon juice, vanilla, orange juice, and zest with sugar syrup.
- Process in a sorbet or ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s directions. Or freeze in a shallow pan in the freezer, break up into chunks when frozen, and pulse chunks in a food processor to make a coarse ice.