Blue Cheese Buttermilk Biscuits
You may like these even if you don’t like the flavor of blue cheese. The buttermilk cuts the sharp taste of the cheese that many people don’t enjoy.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup chilled vegetable shortening, cut into cubes
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 scallion, minced
- 1 1⁄3 cups plus 1 Tbsp. buttermilk, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place griddle in the middle of the oven.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients. Stir in the blue cheese and scallions.
- Make a well in the center and pour in 1 1⁄3 cup buttermilk. Fold to combine. Divide the dough into twelve even balls and drop them on the hot griddle or skillet. Brush the surface of the biscuits with 1 tablespoon buttermilk. Bake in the center of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.