Blue Ribbon Baked Beans
Take baked beans to an award-winning level with this bacon-and-spice-infused version. It’s perfect for tailgating or anytime friends and family gather to celebrate. Serve it with slices of hearty toast to soak up every tasty bite.
Serves: 16Prep: 20 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 bacon slices
- 1 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Simple Truth Organic™ Stone Ground Mustard
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 Simple Truth Organic™ Tomato Ketchup
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cans (15 oz. each) Simple Truth Organic™ Great Northern Beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons Simple Truth Organic™ Jalapeño Hot Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook bacon in heavy, large, ovenproof saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Using tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain. Crumble bacon and reserve.
- Add onion to drippings in pot and sauté until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add dry mustard and thyme; stir 1 minute. Mix in ketchup, vinegar, molasses, water, bay leaf and both beans. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover pot and bake in oven for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water, if necessary. Mix bacon into beans. Bake 15 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Mix in hot sauce and serve.