Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg, well beaten
- 2½ cups sifted all-purpose flour, divided
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 pint blueberries
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 11½" × 7½" × 1½" baking pan.
- In a bowl, cream together the shortening and ½ cup sugar. Add the egg and mix well. Sift together 2 cups flour, the baking powder, and the salt and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the blueberries evenly over the batter.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ½ cup sugar and ½ cup flour and the cinnamon. Add the butter and cut in with a pastry blender until crumbly. Sprinkle over the blueberries.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until blueberry mixture bubbles. Let cool slightly on a rack. Cut into 8 to 10 squares. Serve warm.