Blueberry Coffee Cake
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pint blueberries
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1¼ cups sugar, divided
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp. ground mace
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" round cake pan.
- Combine the blueberries and water in a saucepan, bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the berries are tender. Stir in the lemon juice. Mix ½ cup sugar and the cornstarch in a small bowl and add to the berries. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened. Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine 1½ cups flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, mace, and ½ cup sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in ½ cup butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, milk, and vanilla, mixing well. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and again mix well. Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan. Spoon the cooled berries evenly over the batter and top with the remaining batter. Combine the remaining ¼ cup each sugar and flour in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons butter and cut in with a pastry blender until crumbly. Stir in the walnuts. Sprinkle the nut mixture evenly over the batter.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes, then serve warm.