Blueberry Drop Scones
Blueberries add a burst of summer sunshine to this flaky recipe. Try it with raspberries, blackberries, or cherries, too.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and orange juice concentrate; set aside. In a separate large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Toss in zest.
- Cut the chilled butter into the dry ingredients, breaking it into small, pea-sized pieces with your fingertips or a pastry blender. Be sure not to mix too much. Butter and flour should create a dry, crumbly mixture, not a paste. Toss in blueberries.
- Make a well in the center of the flour-butter mixture, and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir gently until moistened. Scoop out 1⁄4 cup portions of dough and drop on prepared pan, 2 inches apart. Brush with cream and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes.