Blueberry Oat Crisp
Save to My Recipes
This crisp is special because it has a rich bottom crust, so it’s almost like a pie with a crispy topping. It’s delicious plain or with ice cream.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour
- 1¼ cups brown rice flour, divided
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup packed brown sugar, divided
- ½ cup plus 5 Tbsp. softened butter, divided
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup apple juice
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1½ cups gluten-free rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together 1 cup brown rice flour, salt, and ¼ cup brown sugar. Cut in ½ cup butter with a pastry blender, until mixture is crumbly. Press crust mixture into the bottom of the baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes and remove from oven.
- While the crust is baking, make the filling: In a small saucepan add granulated sugar, cornstarch, and juice. Mix or whisk together and cook over high heat, stirring constantly until boiling. Allow to boil for 1 minute. The cornstarch/juice mixture will turn translucent and thicken. Remove from heat and add blueberries. Pour blueberry filling over the baked crust.
- In another small bowl whisk together oats, ¼ cup brown sugar, and ¼ cup brown rice flour. Cut in 5 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the filling.
- Place crisp on a cookie sheet to prevent spills in the oven while baking. Bake for 25 minutes until crispy topping is golden brown and cherry filling is bubbling around the edges.