Blueberry Oat Muffins
Blueberries are great on hot oatmeal, so just imagine how tasty this combination is in a muffin.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2⁄3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 1⁄2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 Tbsp. water
- Line a strainer with a coffee filter. Spoon yogurt into coffee filter. Place strainer over a bowl so yogurt can drain. Make sure there is at least an inch between the bottom of the strainer and the bottom of the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Discard liquid. Carefully remove homemade yogurt cheese from paper.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Place oats in a food processor or blender. Process about one minute. Transfer to a large bowl. Add brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, lemon peel, and salt. Fold in blueberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy. Add yogurt cheese, oil, and water, whisking until well blended. Add to the dry ingredients. Stir until just moistened.
- Fill muffin cups almost full. Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.