Blueberry Orange Pancakes
Blueberries are a welcome element to any breakfast. If using frozen berries, be sure to add them frozen. If they defrost first, they will be too wet, make the batter too thin, and turn the pancakes purple.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutes
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- Grated zest of 2 oranges
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Combine sugar and zest in a small food processor or coffee grinder, and pulse until it becomes a moist orange sugar.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and orange sugar. Set aside.
- In a second bowl whisk together eggs and oil until light and airy, then add milk. Pour wet mixture into dry and mix briefly, just until combined. Set aside to rest 10 minutes.
- Preheat griddle over medium heat. When hot, stir berries into batter. Ladle batter out in half-cup puddles, and cook until bubbles appear on surface, about 1 minute. Flip and cook 1 minute on the opposite side, until firm in the center. Keep pancakes warm in a low oven while repeating with remaining batter.