Blueberry Stew with Sweet Biscuits and Ice Cream
This easy-to-assemble dessert is a cross between shortcake and cobbler. For a dramatic presentation, cut the biscuits into decorative shapes.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 32 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 cups blueberries
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1⁄2 cup very cold butter
- 3⁄4 cup light cream
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- In a large saucepan, combine granulated sugar and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; carefully add blueberries and lemon juice. Return to medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and confectioners’ sugar; stir with a whisk to blend. Add butter; cut in with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cream to make a soft dough.
- Coat your hands and a work surface with flour. Knead dough briefly; roll out to 1 inch thick. Using a biscuit or cookie cutter, cut into 8 biscuits. Place on prepared baking sheet, at least 1 inch apart. Bake for 12 minutes or until biscuits are light brown on top.
- Ladle blackberry stew into shallow bowls; top each bowl with a hot biscuit and ice cream.