A well-known classic French beef stew.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 3 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. stewing beef, cut into ½" cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups red wine
- ¾ lb. carrots, peeled and sliced
- ¾ lb. white mushrooms
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, chopped
- Water, as needed
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Season the beef with the salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan over medium heat. Place the beef in the pan and brown on the outside. Add the garlic and onions and cook until tender, about 3–5 minutes. Add the red wine, bring it to a boil, and then simmer.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms, and herbs, except parsley, to the pan. Add two cups of water if you want a thinner stew and to keep the stew’s sauce from cooking down. Cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Garnish with fresh parsley.