A well-known classic French beef stew.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 3 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. stewing beef, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups red wine
- 3⁄4 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3⁄4 lb. white mushrooms
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, chopped
- Water, as needed
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Season the beef with the salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to a large frying pan over medium heat. Place the beef in the pan and brown on the outside. Add the garlic and onions and cook until tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the red wine, bring it to a boil, and then simmer.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms, and herbs, except parsley, to the pan. Add two cups of water if you want a thinner stew and to keep the stew’s sauce from cooking down. Cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Garnish with fresh parsley.