Boiled Crayfish (Kråftor) with Dill
Every August the Swedes mark the end of summer with crayfish parties.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 quarts water (or enough to cover the crayfish in the pot)
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 1 white onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 20 dill crowns
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 bottle dark beer
- 8 lbs. live large crayfish
- Bring the water, salt, onions, 3⁄4 of the dill crowns, sugar, and beer to a boil in a large stockpot.
- Place the live crayfish in a basket sifter and lower into the boiling water. Cook for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and allow the crayfish to cool in the water.
- Use tongs to transfer the crayfish to a bowl; cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- To serve, transfer to a large serving bowl and garnish with the remaining dill crowns.