Cooking live lobsters from the supermarket is cheaper than if you were to order lobster at a restaurant, but it can be a bit of an experience! Try rubbing the forehead of the lobster, applying pressure with your thumb, to calm or hypnotize it before you place it in the boiling water.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 23 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 live lobsters (2 lbs. each)
- 6 Tbsp. salt
- 5 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Fill an 8 quart or larger stockpot 3⁄4 full with salted water. Make sure that you have enough water to completely cover lobsters. Add 1 tablespoon salt per quart of water.
- Bring to a boil and pick up the lobsters by the top of the body and put them head first into the boiling water until they are completely under water.
- Put the lid on the pot and boil for 18 minutes. Do not remove from water until the shells turn bright red.
- Remove from the pot and serve hot or plunge in ice water for chilled dishes. To serve hot, use a nutcracker to crack the shells and pull or push out the meat inside. Dip hot lobster meat in melted butter.