Bolognese (Meat Sauce)
This is a tomato-based sauce with ground beef in it. The meaty flavor permeates the sauce because the meat is simmered in it. Serve this sauce on ravioli or spaghetti for a classic pasta meal.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Over medium heat, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add ground beef to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the herbs, salt, and pepper, and then simmer uncovered for an hour. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.