Boston Baked Beans
This is the long-baking version of baked beans, but it doesn’t take a lot of prep time. There is a smoky, candied quality to this dish, which makes it a good barbecue side dish.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 5 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups dried white beans, soaked overnight, then drained
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- ¾ cup unsulfured molasses
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1½ cups water
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Simmer beans uncovered in enough water to cover them for about 1 hour, until tender. Drain beans.
- Combine all ingredients with beans and bake in a covered 4-quart baking dish for 4 hours.
- Add water if the top of the beans becomes exposed during baking so that they won’t become hard.