Braised Beef Short Ribs
Slow braising beef ribs never tasted better than with bacon and beer!
- 1⁄2 pound bacon
- 5 pounds beef short ribs, cut into 1-rib pieces if necessary
- flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 small onions, chopped
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 bottle beer
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven. Remove cooked bacon from pan leaving drippings. In a pie plate, mix flour, salt and pepper. Dredge ribs in flour shaking off excess. Heat bacon drippings and brown short ribs in batches until browned.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons fat from Dutch oven. Add garlic, onions, carrots, and rosemary and sauté until browned. Add broth and beer. Bring to a boil.
- Return ribs to Dutch oven, crowding into a single layer. Cover and braise for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove ribs from pot.
- Pour liquid through a strainer set over a saucepan, discarding all but the liquid and skim fat. Bring liquid to a boil and thicken it slightly. Serve sauce over the ribs.