This recipe is best when it’s allowed to sit overnight in its own juices. Serve with roasted root vegetables for a satisfying dinner.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 3 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 lbs. beef brisket, first cut, trimmed
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 lbs. onions, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp. peppercorns
- Beef stock to cover brisket, approximately 3–4 cups
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Pat the brisket with paper towels to dry.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven on high heat. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Brown the meat on all sides, then remove from the Dutch oven.
- Add the onions to the Dutch oven, and sauté until golden. Return the meat to the pan and add the garlic and peppercorns. Add beef stock just to cover the brisket. Bring just to a boil, cover, and place in the oven for at least 3 hours. Let rest at least 10 minutes before serving. Slice, and serve with its own juice.