Makes a great side dish with Asian entrées—or serve with grilled sausages for a traditional pairing.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 strips lean bacon, cut into 1⁄4-inch pieces
- 4 scallions, white parts only, thinly sliced
- 6 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. fresh chopped thyme
- In a medium-size saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat until the fat has rendered and the bacon is crispy. Remove bacon and reserve for another use.
- Add the scallions to the fat in the pan, and cook, stirring often, until they are soft, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cabbage, vinegar, stock, salt, pepper, and thyme; mix well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the cabbage is soft but not falling apart. Serve immediately