Braised Okra with Tomato
Fresh tomatoes, okra, and garlic are mellowed by dry red wine in this easy side dish. It is a delicious combination of flavors.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1½ lbs. okra, trimmed
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 8 large plum tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven (or other heavy-bottomed pan with a lid) to medium-high temperature. Add the okra and garlic; sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the stock and oregano; bring to simmer, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt and pepper, then serve.