Braised Red Cabbage
This is an excellent side dish for Duck. It lends an Alsatian touch to the table.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 large red cabbage, shredded
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 2 Tbsp. bacon fat
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup red grape juice
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Layer cabbage, onions, and apples in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or large roasting pan. Heat bacon fat, sugar, juice, vinegar, and cinnamon in a saucepan to a simmer. Pour hot liquid over cabbage. Sprinkle cabbage with salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- Cover and bake cabbage in oven for 3 hours until tender.