Braised Red Cabbage for Two
This recipe is always a favorite. Complex, sweet, rich, and creamy, youʼll get a lot of requests for this dish.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 large white onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dry red wine
- ½ cup water
- 1 whole clove
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion 5 minutes until softened. Add cabbage, apple, vinegar, sugar, wine, water, clove, and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook very gently for 1 hour and 15 minutes, covered. Turn off heat and remove clove and cinnamon stick. Add the remaining butter, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine and serve.