Braised Short Ribs Kokkinisto
Kokkinisto in Greek means “reddened,” so always use tomato paste for consistent results.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 thick beef short ribs (8 oz. each)
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ stalk celery, ends trimmed and diced
- ½ medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 medium onions, peeled (1 whole, 1 diced), divided
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 cups hot water
- Season beef with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. In an ovenproof pot just big enough to hold the ribs, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat for 30 seconds. Add the beef (in batches) and brown for 3 minutes on each side. Remove the beef and reserve.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add celery, carrots, onions, garlic, allspice, bay leaves, and paprika. Stir and cook for 5–6 minutes to soften the vegetables. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the wine and allow it to reduce for 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste, thyme, and rosemary. Return the beef to the pan and add the hot water. Cover and bake for 70–90 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper, if necessary. Return the pot to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and uncover. Serve hot.