Braised Short Ribs Kokkinisto
Kokkinisto in Greek means “reddened,” so always use tomato paste for consistent results.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 thick beef short ribs (8 oz. each)
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, ends trimmed and diced
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 medium onions, peeled (1 whole, 1 diced), divided
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 cups hot water
- Season beef with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. In an ovenproof pot just big enough to hold the ribs, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat for 30 seconds. Add the beef (in batches) and brown for 3 minutes on each side. Remove the beef and reserve.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add celery, carrots, onions, garlic, allspice, bay leaves, and paprika. Stir and cook for 5 to 6 minutes to soften the vegetables. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the wine and allow it to reduce for 3 minutes. Add the tomato paste, thyme, and rosemary. Return the beef to the pan and add the hot water. Cover and bake for 70 to 90 minutes.
- Check the seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper, if necessary. Return the pot to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and uncover. Serve hot.