Bran English Muffins
Have your favorite fresh fruit purée ready to spread on one of these warm homemade English muffins.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⅔ cups soy milk
- 2 Tbsp. lactose-free margarine
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups wheat bran flakes cereal
- 1 package dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 4¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. cornmeal
- Combine milk, margarine, and salt in a small pan. Cook over low heat until margarine melts. Add cereal, stirring well. Let cool at room temperature. Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Stir lukewarm milk mixture into dissolved yeast.
- Gradually stir in 3½ cups flour. Knead in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough out to ½" thickness. Cut into rounds with a 3" biscuit cutter dipped in flour. Cover and let rest on a floured surface 30 minutes.
- Coat an electric skillet with cooking spray. Heat at medium (350°F). Sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. Transfer muffins to skillet. Cook partially covered for 12 minutes. Turn and continue cooking, partially covered, an additional 12 minutes.
- Transfer to wire racks. Allow to completely cool. Split muffins, and toast until lightly browned. Store in an airtight container.