Brandied Cherry Pie Filling
This pie filling also makes a very serviceable dessert topping.
Makes: 7Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 5 3⁄4 cups cold water
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups plus 3 Tbsp. ClearJel
- 1⁄2 cup bottled lemon juice
- 6 quarts fresh pitted cherries
- 1 1⁄4 cups Kirsch or other brandy
- Combine water, sugar, and ClearJel in a large stockpot. Stir and cook over medium-high heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice and boil sauce 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Fold in pitted cherries and stir well.
- Continue to heat mixture for 3 to 5 minutes until mixture is hot throughout. Remove from heat and stir in Kirsch.
- Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Cap and seal. Process in a water-bath canner for 25 minutes.