Brazil Nut Bread
Big, buttery Brazil nuts are a welcome surprise in this sweet, dense loaf.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped Brazil nuts
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9" × 5" loaf pan with pan spray, and line the bottom and short sides with a strip of parchment.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, allspice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Combine egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the egg mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Fold in nuts.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; smooth the top. Bake 30 minutes, until risen. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake 30 minutes longer, or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Tent with foil if loaf browns too quickly.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Continue cooling on a rack.