Brazilian Baked Cinnamon Toast (Rabanada de Forno)
Rabanadas are the Portuguese version of what Americans call French toast, and are very similar to Spanish torrijas. This is also a great way to use up stale bread.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- 8 diagonal slices (1 1⁄2 inches thick) French baguette or other crusty bread loaf
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, condensed milk, eggs, salt, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar and the cinnamon.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan with melted butter.
- Soak each slice of bread in the milk/egg mixture, then lift it out and let it drain slightly. Dip it in the sugar mixture. Place in the baking pan. Repeat with remaining bread slices.
- Bake bread at 350°F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.