Brazilian Cheese Croquettes (Bolinho de Queijo)
These cheese croquettes have a layer of savory dough surrounding a pocket of melted mozzarella.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 10 oz. block of mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 2 cups very fine breadcrumbs
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Place the chicken stock in a heavy saucepan with 1 tablespoon of butter. Add flour, salt, and smoked paprika and cook over medium-low heat, stirring until mixture stiffens and pulls away from the sides of the pot, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Divide the dough into 25 walnut-size balls. Cut mozzarella into 25 small cubes. Wrap each piece of dough around a cube of mozzarella and roll between the palms of your hands to make a smooth ball.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg with water. Place the bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Dip the croquettes into egg and then into bread crumbs to coat.
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet or large heavy saucepan to 350°F. Fry the croquettes in the oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve warm.