Brazilian Cornmeal Muffins with Guava (Bolinho de Fubã com Goiabada)
These sweet and tender corn muffins have a surprise center of guava paste. This batter can also be prepared the day before and refrigerated overnight.
Serves: 18Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. butter, melted (divided)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 8 oz. guava paste, cut into 18 pieces
- 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Brush the wells of an 18-cup muffin tin with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter, and sprinkle them with the granulated sugar. (Or line the muffin tin with paper liners.) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the milk, oil, remaining butter, eggs, and salt in a blender and mix well. Add the cornmeal, flour, and baking powder and blend until smooth.
- Fill muffin cups about 2⁄3 of the way full. Place a piece of guava paste in the middle of each one. Distribute the remaining batter to cover the guava paste and until the muffin tins are almost full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until muffins spring back lightly to the touch.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 5 minutes, then sift powdered sugar over the tops of the muffins.