Brazilian Cream of Corn Soup (Creme de Milho Verde)
This soup is super easy and fast to make, and delicious. Use fresh corn for best results.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups sweet corn kernels, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ⅓ cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Place all but ¼ cup of the corn kernels, milk, and stock in a blender and pulse to combine.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté the onion until soft, about 5–8 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch and cook for 1 minute. Add the corn/milk mixture and cook, stirring, until soup thickens and turns creamy.
- Add the cheese, salt, and pepper and stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Serve soup garnished with the reserved corn kernels.