Brazilian Hominy Pudding (Canjica Doce)
Canjica is a creamy pudding made from white hominy corn, very similar to rice pudding.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups dried hominy corn, soaked overnight in water to cover
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 or 4 whole cloves
- 2½ cups milk
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- Place the corn and soaking water in a large saucepan. Add the salt to the corn and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the corn is tender, about 1 hour.
- Add the cinnamon stick, cloves, milk, and condensed milk to the corn. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until mixture thickens and becomes very creamy, and the corn is very tender. Remove cinnamon stick and cloves.
- When ready to serve, garnish with the ground cinnamon.