Brazilian Marinated Eggplant Salad (Salada de Berinjela)
This salad is very similar to Italian caponata salad, but with some Brazilian touches.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 medium eggplants, trimmed and cut into 1" cubes
- 4 medium shallots or 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped into 1"pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped into 1" pieces
- ½ cup olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves, divided
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup diced oven-dried or sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss eggplant, onion, and bell peppers with 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, black pepper, and half the basil. Spread vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet (use two baking sheets if needed). Roast the vegetables for 20–30 minutes, or until they begin to brown and caramelize on the edges. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted vegetables to a large bowl. Add the raisins, tomatoes, olives, oregano, vinegar, and remaining olive oil. Toss everything well to mix and refrigerate salad overnight.
- Bring salad to room temperature and toss with the remaining basil just before serving.