Brazilian Mulled Red Wine (Vinho Quente)
This warm, sweet red wine is especially popular in Brazil during Festa Junina.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 small apples
- 1½ cups sugar, divided
- 6 cinnamon sticks, divided
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 liter red wine
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- Peel, core and dice one apple. Cut the other into thin slices. Set aside.
- Place 1 cup sugar, 2 cinnamon sticks, and cloves in a heavy saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar melts and very lightly caramelizes.
- Add wine, water, remaining sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and diced apple. Heat until mixture is almost at a simmer.
- Strain mixture and divide mixture between 4 mugs.
- Garnish each mug with a cinnamon stick and apple slices and serve hot.