Brazilian Orange Rice (Arroz com Laranja)
This savory orange rice goes well with roasted meats or barbecue. Sometimes this pretty rice is served in molded form: The cooked rice is packed into a small greased bowl, then turned out onto the plate, which makes for a very attractive presentation.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ cups long-grain white rice
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup cashew pieces
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ cups orange juice
- 1½ cups vegetable broth or water
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest
- ½ cup whole cashews
- Rinse the rice several times with water and set aside.
- Place the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and fragrant, about 5–8 minutes.
- Add the rice, cashew pieces, and salt and cook for 2–3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the orange juice and vegetable broth. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the raisins and cook for 5 minutes more. Turn off heat and let rice rest, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove cover. Fluff rice with a fork. Top with orange zest and whole cashews before serving.