Brazilian Red Pepper Sauce (Molho de Pimenta)
This basic spicy pepper sauce goes with just about anything, and it will keep for a couple of weeks in the refrigerator stored in a glass jar.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup good-quality olive oil
- 1 hot red chili pepper (2 inches)
- 3 medium red bell peppers
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Place the vinegar and olive oil in a blender.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers and add them to the blender, along with the salt, sugar, garlic, and onion.
- Process mixture until smooth. Transfer mixture to a saucepan and add the bay leaf. Simmer sauce over low heat for 5 to 8 minutes, until it thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Remove the bay leaf. Place the sauce in a glass jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.