Brazilian Rice and Tofu Croquettes (Bolinho de Arroz com Tofu)
These brown rice fritters are seasoned with garlic and ginger, and stuffed with a piece of creamy marinated tofu. Serve them with sweet and sour chili sauce for dipping.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 oz. soft or medium-soft tofu, cut into ½" cubes
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp. teriyaki sauce
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 Tbsp. minced scallions
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ⅓ cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Place the tofu in a dish with soy sauce and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a medium skillet and add the onion. Cook until soft and fragrant, about 5–8 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and teriyaki sauce and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Place the brown rice in a medium bowl. Add the cooked onion mixture, scallions, parsley, and egg and mix well. Add 1–2 tablespoons of the cornstarch if mixture is too wet to form into balls. Shape balls of rice with your hands (dampen your hands with water to prevent sticking), and press a piece of tofu into the middle of each ball.
- In a shallow dish, combine the remaining cornstarch, cornmeal, and salt. Roll rice balls in the cornmeal mixture to coat.
- Heat several inches of vegetable oil in a heavy saucepan to 350°F. Fry rice balls until browned and crispy.
- Serve croquettes warm or at room temperature.