Brazilian Rice and Tofu Croquettes (Bolinho de Arroz com Tofu)
These brown rice fritters are seasoned with garlic and ginger, and stuffed with a piece of creamy marinated tofu. Serve them with sweet and sour chili sauce for dipping.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 oz. soft or medium-soft tofu, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp. teriyaki sauce
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 Tbsp. minced scallions
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp. salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Place the tofu in a dish with soy sauce and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a medium skillet and add the onion. Cook until soft and fragrant, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, and teriyaki sauce and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Place the brown rice in a medium bowl. Add the cooked onion mixture, scallions, parsley, and egg and mix well. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch if mixture is too wet to form into balls. Shape balls of rice with your hands (dampen your hands with water to prevent sticking), and press a piece of tofu into the middle of each ball.
- In a shallow dish, combine the remaining cornstarch, cornmeal, and salt. Roll rice balls in the cornmeal mixture to coat.
- Heat several inches of vegetable oil in a heavy saucepan to 350°F. Fry rice balls until browned and crispy.
- Serve croquettes warm or at room temperature.