Brazilian Salmon Burgers (Hamúrguer de Salmão)
Hamburgers are very popular in Brazil, especially loaded with all kinds of crazy toppings. But Brazilians also love seafood, and are becoming increasingly health conscious. So it’s easy to see why salmon burgers are a natural fit.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. salmon, cut into large chunks
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup very fine bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 hamburger buns
- Green leaf lettuce
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Place the lime juice, cilantro, scallions, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor and process in short pulses until everything is finely minced. Remove 2 tablespoons of the mixture and mix with the mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Add the teriyaki sauce, salt, pepper, and salmon to the food processor and pulse 2 or 3 times briefly, just until salmon is shredded. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl.
- Stir the egg and the bread crumbs into the salmon mixture. Shape into 4 round patties. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the salmon patties for 4–5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Spread the buns with the prepared mayonnaise, place the salmon burgers on the buns, garnish with lettuce and tomato or other garnishes, if desired, and serve.