Bread and Butter Pickles
Cucumbers and onions are a good source of fiber; here they are seasoned and lightly cooked. Your own pickles will be far crisper than the ones that come in jars. Add pickle slices to ham or turkey sandwiches for fiber in the filling.
Serves: 40Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 12 medium cucumbers, peeled and sliced 1⁄4 inch thick
- 5 small onions, sliced 1⁄4 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup pickling salt
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. whole peppercorns
- Layer cucumbers and onions with salt in a colander set in the sink and drain for 2 to 3 hours.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and spices in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add drained cucumbers and onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pack in sterilized pint jars and seal the lids in a water bath.