I created this recipe for a friend, it's rich and decadent! Perfect for a chilly day!
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract, plus 1 tsp., divided
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk, plus 1/3 cup, divided
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus 1/3 cup, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄3 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons bourbon or apple juice
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Beat together eggs, 2 tablespoons butter, vanilla, and 2 1/4 cups milk. Add 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cranberries and pecans; mix well. Lay bread cubes in a 11 x 17 inch baking pan,(crust facing up) around the edges in scattered within the dish. Pour liquid over the bread. Sprinkle pecans all over and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: Combine 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter, 1/3 cup milk, and bourbon (or apple juice) in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until mixture comes to a low boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Pour over servings of bread pudding.