Breaded Eggplant “Parmesan”
Slowly baking these breaded eggplant cutlets brings out the best flavor, but they can also be pan fried in a bit of oil.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2⁄3 cup soy milk
- Egg replacer for 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce
- Slice eggplant into 3⁄4-inch-thick slices and sprinkle with salt. Allow to sit for 10 minutes. Gently pat dry to remove extra moisture.
- In a shallow bowl or pie tin, combine flour and garlic powder. In a separate bowl, whisk together the soy milk and egg replacer. In a third bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, and nutritional yeast.
- Coat each eggplant slice with flour, then carefully dip in the soy milk mixture, then coat with the bread crumb mixture and place in a lightly greased casserole dish.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, then top with marinara sauce, and return to oven until sauce is hot, about 5 minutes.