Breakfast Blueberry-“Bacon” Cupcakes
Crunchy soy bacon bits are versatile add-ins for many dishes, especially salads and omelets. In this recipe, the bits add an unexpected savory crunch.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 packages (8 oz.) nonfat cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup dried blueberries
- 1⁄3 cup soy bacon bits
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray 8 round muffin or cupcake tins (3 inches) and set aside.
- Beat the cream cheese, butter, and sugar at medium speed until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the flours, baking powder, and salt until smooth.
- Fold in the blueberries and bacon bits. Spoon the mixture into each cup, filling it about 3⁄4 full. Sprinkle remaining sugar on the top of each cupcake.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the tops turn golden. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the muffin tins. Cool the cupcakes completely on a wire rack.