Breakfast Spanish Tortilla
Tortilla Española is traditionally served in bars and restaurants in Spain. It is also made in homes and served as an appetizer or light meal. Serve wedges or squares of tortilla hot or at room temperature.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 7 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 small onions, peeled and finely diced
- 10 large eggs
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 4 tsp. butter, melted
- Nonstick olive oil cooking spray
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 sprigs fresh basil for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Slowly cook onions in olive oil until lightly brown and caramelized, about 5–6 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
- Grease a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with melted butter and a spritz of nonstick cooking spray and place half the potatoes on the bottom in a thin layer. Pour half the eggs over the potato layer. Repeat layers, adding onions, ending with the last of the whisked eggs.
- Cover and cook on low for 6–7 hours or on high for 3½–4 hours. Serve with a drizzle of the remaining, olive oil, a pinch of the remaining black pepper, and a sprig of basil.