Brickyard Fried Chicken Thighs
Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside, these fried chicken thighs pack serious flavor. And when it comes to fried chicken, nothing’s more refreshing than an ice-cold Coca-Cola on the side.
Serves: 4Prep: 5 hours 20 minutesCook: 32 minutesTotal: 5 hours 52 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 16 cups water, divided
- 1 package (8-10 pieces) bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 3⁄4 cup + 1½ Tbsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon Private Selection Bold & Savory Poultry Seasoning Rub
- 1 tablespoon herbs or spices, optional
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, optional
- In large stockpot over high heat, bring 4 cups water to boil. Whisk in ¾ cup salt until dissolved, poultry seasoning and herbs, if using. Remove pan from heat; add an additional 12 cups water. Let cool to room temperature.
- Place chicken pieces in stockpot or divide chicken and brine between large zip-top bags; refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to fry, drain and rinse chicken pieces thoroughly. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Set wire rack over a baking sheet. In shallow pan or bowl, combine buttermilk and hot sauce. In second shallow bowl, mix together flour, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Dip chicken into buttermilk mixture, then into seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Set breaded chicken on rack. Refrigerate baking sheet and rack at least 30 minutes or up to 1 hour to set crust.
- To fry chicken, fill Dutch oven or large, deep-sided cast-iron skillet with 1” oil and bacon grease, if using. Clip frying thermometer to side of pot. Place over medium-high heat; bring oil to 350°F. (The temperature will drop considerably when chicken is added. Regulate heat to maintain a temperature of about 325°F as you fry chicken.)
- Fry chicken skin-side down in batches of no more than 4 pieces at a time, 8 minutes per side, until meat registers 165°F on instant-read thermometer.
- Set wire rack over baking sheet; line sheet with paper towels. Using tongs, transfer chicken to wire rack. Repeat until all chicken is fried. Let cool 20 minutes before serving.